If you do nothing during your visit but browse through the IHSI website to read Web pages or download information, IHSI will automatically gather and store certain information about your visit. Your Web browser software transmits most of this information to us; however, this information does not identify you personally.
We automatically collect and store only the following information about your visit:
- The numeric IP address (an IP address is a number that is automatically assigned to your computer whenever you are surfing the Web) from which you access the IHSI website. IHSI software can then map these IP addresses into Internet domain names, for example, "xcompany.com" if you use a private Internet access account, or "yourschool.edu" if you connect from a university's domain;
- The type of browser and operating system used to access the IHSI website;
- The date and time you access the IHSI website;
- The pages you visit, including graphics loaded from each page and other documents you download, such as PDF (Portable Document Format) files and word processing documents; and
- If you were referred to the IHSI website from another Web site, IHSI captures the address of the referring Web site.
IHSI uses this information to make the website more useful to visitors--to learn about the number of visitors to our site and the types of technology visitors use. We do not use information to track or record information about individuals and their visits.
- A "cookie" is a small text file that a Web site can place on your computer's hard drive in order, for example, to collect information about your activities on the site or to make it possible for you to use an online "shopping cart" to keep track of items you wish to purchase. The cookie transmits this information back to the Web site's computer which, generally speaking, is the only computer that can read it. Most consumers do not know that "cookies" are being placed on their computers when they visit Web sites. If you want to know when this happens, or to prevent it from happening, you can set your browser to warn you when a Web site attempts to place a "cookie" on your computer.
Voluntary Personal Information Submission
If you choose to identify yourself by sending the IHSI an e-mail, participating in a contest or other promotion, or by using online forms, some personal data may be collected; however, that data will only be used for limited purposes.
IHSI may ask you to voluntarily provide personal information under the following circumstances:
- When you register to become a member of the Italian Heritage Society of Indiana
- When you register for an upcoming event that has a limited number of openings
All of these activities are purely voluntary. You will always have the option of whether to perform the transaction and provide this information. Please understand, however, that in order to open an IHSI user account or perform an online service transaction, you will be required to provide some personal information.
If you choose to provide the IHSI with personal information, the requestor will use that information to respond to your message. IHSI employees treat e-mails the same way they treat letters.
- We only share the information you give us if we are required to, so that your message can be addressed.
- Registered users can edit or delete their account information by e-mailing or phoning IHSI.
- IHSI does not collect information for commercial marketing. It will not sell or rent your personally identifiable information to anyone.